- Ensure that your son/daughter eats with a fork and knife and that they know how to cut with a knife.
- Ensure that your son/daughter gets plenty of practice ordering and paying for themselves at a fast food establishment or other restaurants.
- Instead of answering your son/daughter's questions that can be answered by reading a m enu or within the environment encourage them to locate the answer, rather than hearing an answer from you.
- Give your son/daughter a part of your grocery list or the items that they would like to have at home and allow them to take a grocery cart and find those items, while you are also in the store.
- Be verbal about how much grocery items cost and point out the price.
Independent living does not happen on its own, so start practicing those skills. Your son/daughter will feel empowered by their role as a young adult.
Thank you to McDonald's and Jewel-Osco of Tinley Park for welcoming and working with us.